Seaham End Season With Benfield Defeat

13 Apr 2019 in Match Reports

Seaham End Season With Benfield Defeat Seaham End Season With Benfield Defeat

By Andrew McDonnell

Seaham Red Star ended the 2018-19 season with a 4-2 defeat against Newcastle Benfield at the Ferguson Motor Repairs Stadium.


Joe Robson put the visitors ahead before James Martin’s cross caught the wind and sailed into the net off the post.


Seaham responded immediately through Michael Chilton and Dan Wilson scored on 41 minutes to make it a level game going into half-time.


It was, somewhat, an uneventful second-half, but late goals from Jake Orrell and Dale Pearson handed Benfield all three points.


Manager Mark Collingwood kept the same starting line-up from the game with Sunderland RCA and, prior to kick-off, the Star held a minute silence for former chairman Bryan Mayhew.


The hosts started the game brightly and went close to breaking the deadlock on four minutes as Chilton struck wide at the near post.


Richard Slaughter had Benfield’s first opening, two minutes later, but he didn’t connect well with his effort, striking wide.


The deadlock was broken on 13 minutes when the ball was helped inside to Robson, who found the bottom corner after the Star failed to close him down.


Chris Bannon kept the scoreline at one-nil, just before the half-hour mark, when he produced a brilliant save to deny Jake Thompson from close range.


Four minutes later, the visitors doubled their lead after Martin’s cross, from the right, sailed over the head of the ‘keeper and went in off the post.


Seaham responded straight away, pulling a goal back when Bobby Taylor’s free-kick was glanced home by Chilton.


The race for top-scorer heated up when Wilson scored his 15th of the season, on 41 minutes. After going two goals behind in the first half-an-hour, the Star equalised when Wilson prodded past the ‘keeper and into the net - with Paul Gardiner following up.


Orrell’s curling effort, on 48 minutes, was tipped around the post by Bannon before Chilton was denied a second of the game by Andrew Grainger.


Seaham thought they had a third goal when Lee Kerr’s corner was headed goalwards by Liam Gillesphey. Rhys


Evens cleared the ball, but the hosts were saying the ball was already over the line.


Benfield took the lead again on 72 minutes as the ball came out to the edge of the area, after Pearson rattled the post, and Orrell rifled home.


The visitors doubled their advantage, six minutes later, as the hosts were caught out at the back again as

Pearson races through and fired past Bannon and into the net.


There were a chance for both teams in the closing stages, but the hosts couldn’t take anything from their final game of the season.


Seaham finished the season in 14th place, maintaining their Division One status for another season.


Seaham Red Star: Bannon, Young, Joe Hailes, Gardiner, Myers, Gillesphey, Taylor (Dan Hailes, 85), Kerr, (Greenwood, 77) Wilson, Robinson (Clarke, 85), Chilton


Subs Not Used: Wilkinson, Henderson


Newcastle Benfield: Grainger, Evans, Martin (Holmes, 87), Turnbull, Thompson, Novak (Bowey, 87), Slaughter, Robson, Brayson, Orrell, Knight (Pearson, 69)


Subs Not Used: Varga, Parker


Referee: Chris Keightley


Assistants: Tom Bainbridge and Geoff Mann


Attendance: 67


Older Newer